Add vegetables and the important nutrient Vitamin A by including pumpkin in chili.
$1.4 per serving
- ½ pound lean ground meat (beef, turkey, or game)
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (or 1 tsp minced or 1/2 tsp powder)
- ½ cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 3-4 cups cooked pinto or kidney beans (or two 15-ounce cans, drained)
- 1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin (or 2 cups fresh cooked pumpkin, puréed)
- 1 4-ounce can green chilies (drained)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- Brown meat, onion, garlic, and bell pepper in a large pot. Drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Add a small amount of water if chili gets too thick.
- Serve with brown rice or corn bread muffins.
Serving: 1 cup
Tried this recipe?Click the stars or leave a comment.