Barnyards & Backyards
Barnyards & Backyards is perfect for the small acreage landowner, new landowner or backyard enthusiast. Click HERE to see the “Treasure Trove of Information.”
Stop by the Johnson County Extension office to pick up your copy of the latest Barnyards & Backyards Magazine.
- Basic soil tests are available in Buffalo, WY through the Clear Creek Conservation District. Call (307) 620 – 3021 for more information.
- Micah with Johnson County Extension can help with interpretation of soil test results.
USDA Plant Hardiness Zones for Johnson County
Most parts of Johnson County fall into USDA Hardiness Zone 4. Some areas (toward higher elevations in the Big Horn Mtns. and the Powder River breaks) creep down toward 3b and some areas (the southeast corner and central corridor) creep up toward zone 5a.
When purchasing perennial plants and trees, check the tag to ensure that they are suited to at least Zone 4.
Remember, the lower the number, the more extreme cold weather.
Small Acreage Resources
- Clear Creek Conservation District – Buffalo and northern Johnson Co.
- Powder River Conservation District – Kaycee and southern Johnson Co.
- Johnson County Weed & Pest District